G20 LAL @ BOS PostGame Thread
First, let’s congratulate Jeremy on the great job he has done bouncing back after a bad game with a strong efficient game (14pts/2asts in only 19 min with 5-8 shooting, 1/1 3PT and 3-3FT).
Byron Scott inexplicably only inserted Kobe at to play with 4 bench players in the 4th quarter (6:54 left) with LAL trailing only 11pts (83-94).
- Then BOS proceeded to make 17-5 run to take 23 pt lead (111-88) before Byron Scott took a time out with 1:30 left!
- It’s not just Kobe but Sacre, Young (who Wes replaced at 5 min mark), Price missed many shots and did not deserve to be on the floor.
- Sacre was 1-10 but not getting pulled for Hill or Boozer?
- Lin was super-effective but not inserted for Price (7pts/2a, 3-10 shooting, 1-4 3PT) who didnt play any special
What kind of coach would not insert the starters when they’re trailing only pts but not called a time out when BOS was making 17-5 run?
1. getting direction to tank this season or
2. “auditioning” bench players (+Wes) who can play next to Kobe
And perhaps both.
Byron Scott will make a lineup change on Sunday against the Pelicans. Perhaps Boozer will be benched for his lack of defense for Ed Davis. But there will be outcry if he replaces Lin with Price who performed so poorly (3.8PPG/3.7APG with 32 FG% and 26 3FG%) even for a backup PG.
Jeremy would be better off playing somewhere else next season because it’s clear he’s not the future player for the Lakers under Byron Scott.
That much is clear. If Lin is benched, we know how hollow Kobe’s promise to mentor Lin into a championship PG.
We will wait and see what happens next in the soap opera in LA. It’s truly a Kobe performance art and not a basketball team trying to win basketball games. We should treat it like one to avoid any disappointment of expecting normal basketball teams trying to win.